- 2 pounds ground pork - I use the shoulder
- 2 pounds ground beef - I use chuck
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 gloves chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoon cumin seeds (roast them in the oven before adding to chili)
- 2 Tablespoon chopped fresh or dry oregano (roast with cumin seeds if fresh)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 bottle of dark beer (your favorite)
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 3 cups tomatoes or a 28 ounce can of tomato sauce
- Roasted,seeded, peeled peppers (any kind you like- as many as you like but it should amount to at least a cup--I roast them on the grill until they are charred, then put them in a plastic or paper bag to steam, then peel skin off and take seeds out)
- In large heavy pot, sweat the onions - add the meat and cook until browned
- add the spices
- add the tomatoes or sauce
- add the beer
- add the garlic
This needs to cook until all the flavors marry ... 30 minutes to an hour on med to low temp- stove top
Stir occasionally and check for seasoning - if you need to add more of a spice or salt, do it now.
Before serving, if it needs to be thicker, add the corn meal (in a cup mixed with enough hot water to make a paste) and stir well. It will thicken in about 10 minutes on the heat.
Serve with sour cream and/or cheese and chips, or, if you really love your family, bacon corn bread.