I write a monthly column for the San Diego Troubadour, a publication devoted to San Diego's folk, jazz, blues and Americana music scenes. The editors of the Troubadour are friends of mine who allow me to write the most ridiculous stuff imaginable.
Like these predictions I made for the new year in the January, 2011 issue:
1. There will be a big-budget animated 3-D Hollywood feature film starring the Geico Gecko. A lesser film will star the animated workers from the Empire Flooring TV spots.
2. Some savvy Hollywood producer will put together a movie package starring some of the weirdest-named actors in show business: Cord Overstreet, Penn Badgely, Leighton Meester, Blake Lively, and Creed Bratton will star in The John Smith Story.
3. KPBS-TV will switch formats and broadcast nothing but membership campaign programs starring Celtic Woman, Rick Steves, Dr. Wayne Dyer, and a handful of ?50s doo-wop groups, each featuring at least one original member.
4. The "new look" Padres will recapture their 2008 form, and then some. The Friars' 60-102 record will be the worst in baseball. Meanwhile, Adrian Gonzalez's Boston Red Sox will win the World Series, bumping off the Giants in seven games.
5. The Chargers will finish 2011, their final season in San Diego, by going 16-0 and playing in the 2012 Super Bowl against some team from the NFC.
6. This year's Super Bowl will be won by New England, 32-28, over Chicago.
7. In September, Nissan will introduce a smart phone that you can drive. It'll have one terabyte of memory and get 650 miles per watt.
8. Marijuana lounges with live music will become the rage in California.
I'll have an update in December!